The "not-language" identifier (was: RE: Mandarin Chinese, Simplified Script)

Addison Phillips addison.phillips at quest.com
Thu Jun 16 19:32:32 CEST 2005

> FOR: On the other hand, some applications may have enforced
> this need: in the world of xml:lang, you need some kind of override if an
> xml:lang has been described on an element at a higher level; the
> empty value doesn't really do it as I recall.

This is not true. The empty value (for whatever scope it has) overrides any enclosing values.

<a xml:lang="en">
  <b xml:lang="">
     <c>fubar</c>
  </b>
</a>

The language value of element <c> is "".

But I concede Peter and other's point about ISO 639, etc. I'm still with Harold on this: I don't like the idea. But I can see the point.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.