Mandarin Chinese, Simplified Script

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 01:20:29 CEST 2005

ISO 639-3 was devised to provide a comprehensive set of identifiers for all
languages for use in a wide range of applications, including linguistics
(already covered by 639-1), lexicography (already covered by 639-2
terminology, which was also the original purpose of 639-1) and
internationalisation of information systems. It attempts to represent all
known languages.

I do not think it is a good idea to add a special purpose ID for something
that is not a language... it MAY open the flood gates for others... turning
639 into something other than a list of comprehensive identifiers for
languages.

Debbie