Swiss german, spoken

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Mon Jun 13 20:48:07 CEST 2005

Sorry if I'm a bit busy today and overwhelmed by the response to my
language request. I now agree with Michael that Swiss German should not be
restricted to a  spoken form alone. That distinction was made based on my
use of the language, but likely doesn't apply on a wider basis as this
language is sometimes, if rarely, used in written form. If I need to
resubmit my language request to reflect this change, I'd be happy to do
so.

However, in Debbie's defense, here's why I need the distinctions between
spoken and written languages at Sony Pictures. I realize these are
implementation details, but they may help explain my business need. I am
classifying film product to a list of predefined language categories. I
want these categories to be mutually exclusive.  If I'm dubbing a film
into Chinese, I want to see the values:

Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)

If I'm subtitling that film, I want my user to see:

Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin Simplified)
Chinese (Mandarin Traditional)

I do not consider traditional Mandarin to be a "spoken language,"
therefore it cannot be used with dubbed product.  If I put three flavors
of Mandarin on my language list, then a user could potentially classify a
dubbed film as traditional or simplified Mandarin, which is bad data.
These classifications must ultimately be passed in standards-compliant XML
(various standards, depending on use).

So for data storage here, I will recommend use of a single language table
associated with proper ISO codes, filtered in a UI via a spoken/written
Boolean I associate with each language. I have analyzed our use of
language here and RFC 3066 met my needs except in the case of Swiss German
and Latin American Spanish, so I applied for those codes. We do not
subtitle into Swiss German, so I had this noted as a spoken variant in my
spreadsheet, but my application for the code shouldn't have made this
distinction.

Hope this helps explain my request,

Karen Broome

"Debbie Garside" <debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk>