Swiss German, spoken

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Jun 11 22:48:00 CEST 2005

Dear all,
What Doug says seems unfortunately right. If I read you all correctly:
Karen, who is not Peter and Mike to register for free, on behalf of their
corporations, entries following the rules of a probably never to be RFC, is
to send a letter to the Library of Congress in Washington with a shipment
of 50 books of a quasi never printed language to wait months for this
millenary core European language to be registered in a Californian host
created by Brother Doug Engelbart and now under the disputed management  of
ICANN

I opposed most of you because I thought that Peter convinced you of his
ideas (which are probably correct for a printer/publisher) and you
understood where his strategy commercially lead you. But such a vivid
example of what you accept from your Draft 3066 bis shows that most
probably you do not have even understood this. Think of the impact of this
case: I will use in the slides I prepare for my July 1st workshop on
"Referencing and Cultural Sovereignties". Because what the Internet
community expects from BCP 47 is precisely what Karen wants: to describe
how IANA easily registers tags which are not listed in ISO documents and
the community needs, whatever the position of ISO. This will be documented
in the ccTLD/NIC Draft under preparation to be presented at the Luxembourg
meeting. Your target should not be to censor users' needs in using ISO as a
filter. It should be to advise users and ISO so they avoid conflicts. Here
you only show that either you do not want it, either that you did not
understand it or that you do not know how to do it.

But this is your problem.

FYI, we start working on the AFRAC CRC server this week. Our target is to
support this kind of registration by early October in an ISO 12620 and ISO
11179 compatible manner, through the project UNITAG. It will permit a
correlation with ISO 639-3, 5, 6 according to the ISO 639-4 guidelines
(either as discussed in Varsaw or as per a working ISO 639-4 bis extension
we would probably complete based upon experience by the year's end).
Obviously we relate this work to terminology and to any language expression
(scripts, signs, oral, icons, restrictions and combinations) and
security/confirmation elements. In this we certainly consider the help from
IETF, ISO, UNESCO, MINC, W3C, etc. documents, but we are mainly motivated
by the requirements of a user-centric multilingual, multimedia, multimodal,
multitechnology network architecture. We hope that we can come by fall with
a proposition of cooperation of your IANA registry for the written aspects.

jfc