Swiss german, spoken

Addison Phillips addison.phillips at quest.com
Sat Jun 11 02:28:31 CEST 2005

I'd suggest a glance at the current draft for the proposed replacement, which is known colloquially as RFC 3066bis[1][2]. This explains how "es-419" would become a valid tag (it is actually used as an example in the document) as well as the fate of pre-existing registrations that are no longer necessary because 3066bis defines them (they are redundant, not deprecated).

"gsw" presents more problems. There is a specific prohibition against registering it in RFC 3066... and in 3066bis as well (the space is reserved for ISO 639-2/-3, you see). Certain provisions in 3066bis suggest that a registered tag "gsw" would become redundant under 3066bis when ISO 639-3 gets added to the standard. The problem is the registration of said tag (prohibited, as I said).

Perhaps you should petition ISO 639 RA to make it a 639-2 code? Stranger things have been registered and that would make it valid in any revision of 3066. There are some requirements [3] that might not make such a registration suitable, but that might equally not be the case. Either way, that would address both the prohibition on Michael registering it and the need to wait for ISO 639-3 to finish its work.

Addison

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-04.txt
[2] http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-04.html
[3] http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/criteria2.html

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.