Code Changes (CC) in ISO 15924

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 28 07:49:10 CET 2005

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:

>> We do regret the tone of Mr. Everson's reply. It appears that he felt
>> that he was not replying in his official capacity as registrar on
>> this list, but even in such cases, as Registrar he needs to respond
>> in a measured fashion in on script issues.
>
> I tried to find documentation on the definition and on the designation
> process of Language Registrar. Can someone help me finding where they
> are documented?

There is no such person.

RFC 3066 defines a Language Tag Reviewer, who reviews newly submitted
language tags and evaluates them for suitability before adding them to
the IANA Language Tag Registry.

The draft we call "RFC 3066bis" defines a Language Subtag Reviewer, who
performs a similar function, but for subtags instead of whole tags.  The
Language Subtag Reviewer also keeps track of changes to the underlying
ISO standards and determines their impact on existing subtags before
registering them.

ISO 15924 defines a Registrar, appointed by the Registration Authority,
whose job is to register codes for the names of scripts (as the title of
the standard implies).  ISO 639 and 3166 have a Registration Authority
and a Maintenance Agency respectively, which perform similar tasks.

Michael Everson is both Language Tag Reviewer under RFC 3066 *and*
Registrar of ISO 15924.  These are not the same job.

Nobody in any of these activities is, or claims to be, in the business
of "registering" or "defining" languages, scripts, or countries per se.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/