language tag structure

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 18 08:36:08 CET 2005

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:

>> If this is supposed to be some kind of sarcastic caricature of the
>> process used by the supporters of RFC 3066bis, it is not constructive
>> and it is not appreciated.
>
> No. And I do regret this hurting remark.

Please take some time to figure out the difference between a comment
that is directed at your words or your concepts, and one that is
personal or "ad hominem." Regardless of what I may have felt, I have
tried to be careful to respond only to your comments about your new
language tagging model and about RFC 3066bis.  (No, I will not stop
calling it that; it is a perfectly acceptable shorthand term for the
draft, and does not imply that I consider it an approved RFC.)

I don't believe anything I have said can be considered political in any
way.  If you think I have tried to advance a "political agenda," please
quote the passage.

And I said that IF your responses to John and Michael and John and Peter
were intended as a caricature of the RFC 3066bis process, then that
caricature was not appreciated.  Nothing about Jefsey the person.  If
your responses were NOT intended that way, then what I said does not
apply.

It should be noted that people *have* been offering criticisms of your
model, and those criticisms may not necessarily reflect all the
objections they may have.  Considering that there is no draft or Web
page describing your model in detail, that's hardly surprising.  But you
have responded to each critique by asserting that each writer approves
of every aspect of your model except the one or two details he
mentioned.  That's not realistic.  You may lull yourself into thinking
there is much more support for your tagging scheme than actually exists.

Can you please indicate, in specific terms, a realistic user-level
scenario that requires different tagging for my style of English and
yours, or (to use your example) one that requires different tagging for
the French used in Web services written using Apple, Unix, and Microsoft
technologies?  What goals will be achieved by tagging these differently?
I'm keeping my mind open, but please be specific.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/