draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Jan 6 21:22:13 CET 2005

Dave Singer scripsit:

> This spec. should unambiguously allow me to extract the language,
> country, script etc.,

It does (and RFC 3066 does not).

> should say under what circumstances two
> sub-tags of any type match, state the obvious that two tags exactly
> match if they have the same sub-tags and they all match, that partial
> perfect matches (of tags with differing numbers of sub-tags) are
> possible and may be applicable, and that the use of imperfect matches
> (in which not all sub-tags match) has to be application-specific.

Except for the point that tags match if they are (case-insensitively)
identical, which is already made, we don't believe that any of these
other things can be normatively enunciated.

--
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies!    John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,     http://www.reutershealth.com