draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, "stability", and extensions

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Jan 6 13:34:57 CET 2005

Bruce Lilly scripsit:

> > Finding country codes is straightforward: any non-initial subtag of
> > two letters (not appearing to the right of "x-" or "-x-") is a country
> > code.  This is true in RFC 1766, RFC 3066, and the current draft.
>
> I believe that:
> 1. it is not strictly true of the registered tag sgn-CH-de, except
>    by the coincidence that "de" describes a language as well as a
>    country; unless Switzerland has united with Germany when I
>    wasn't paying attention.

Fair enough: "de" in this case is clearly not a country code.

> 2. there is no way that an RFC 3066 parser could have made such an
>    assumption as there is no specification regarding interpretation
>    of 2-letter subtags in the 3rd or subsequent positions.  In
>    particular, what you state as a rule appears nowhere in 1766 or
>    3066.

I stated it (again) as the truth, not a rule; but I concede that it is
not the truth.

John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      jcowan at reutershealth.com
Be yourself.  Especially do not feign a working knowledge of RDF where
no such knowledge exists.  Neither be cynical about RELAX NG; for in
the face of all aridity and disenchantment in the world of markup,
James Clark is as perennial as the grass.  --DeXiderata, Sean McGrath