draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, and extensions

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Wed Jan 5 00:55:43 CET 2005

The characterization of this draft as "controversial" because two or three people object to *any* change of RFC 3066, regardless of any evidence presented of evolving needs and careful consideration thereof, is incorrect. Let's let the IESG decide on that.

Asking the IESG to abandon the Last Call because you don't like the draft or because you don't care for our responses to you is, frankly, odious. Let the process play out.

None of the comments I've seen from you or others can, in fact, be characterized as other than a subjective judgment of the draft or a criticism that applies to the existing draft. It *may* be true that your subjective judgments are correct, but then again, it may be that yours is an outlying minority view, at least once folks have reviewed the draft, arguments in its favor, and responses to comments on it.

Let's trust in the process and the IESG to decide how to proceed: present your objections and comments. Please allow for discussion as appropriate, possibly on the languages list instead of on the ietf list, if you prefer. Then, if one party or the other disagrees with the result, the aggrieved can all consider the various appeals processes open to the losers. I'm sorry about the volume, but don't know how else to deal with the complex arguments presented.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com

Chair, W3C Internationalization Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.