Language attributes- what are they?

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sat Jan 1 21:14:44 CET 2005

Peter Constable wrote:

> And if we were to start recommending that all content get tagged to
> indicate date formats, I would not mix that into a language tag; I would
> treat it as a separate metadata element.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Letting 'xml:lang' be a normative (or informative)
locale identifier is an awful idea.  Defining a new standard distinct XML
locale tag would be a better choice (and less prone to breakage, I think).

Cheers
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839