Language attributes- what are they?

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Sat Jan 1 11:19:47 CET 2005

Tex Texin scripsit:

> Wouldn't it be surprising for a non-swedish sort order to be used with
> content that was labeled as Swedish?  (Regardless of who the content
> is given to...)

I agree with all of your points except this one.  The difference
between (normalized) Old Norse text and Modern Icelandic text is
primarily one of spelling: there's a nice example at the bottom of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse_language, the center and right
columns.  Nonetheless, I'd expect the sorted index of a modern printing of
an Old Norse text to use Icelandic order if it's intended for Icelanders
(thorn after z), and English order if it's intended for anglophones
(thorn after t).

--
The experiences of the past show                John Cowan
that there has always been a discrepancy        jcowan at reutershealth.com
between plans and performance.                  http://www.reutershealth.com
        --Emperor Hirohito, August 1945         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan