LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM: mn-Mong-CN

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Feb 12 15:21:46 CET 2005

At 10:39 12/02/2005, Peter Constable wrote:
>"The important thing for us is not to establish precisely what every
>distinction is (an endless task involving an ever-changing domain over
>which different interpretations are possible), but rather to ensure that
>the intended meaning of any tag is understood by all and for which it is
>clear, to some minimal level, how to utilize it."

IANA registrations are for computers to use. There are no minimal level,
there is a yes/no. With the lang3tag this understanding concerns the whole
language without graduated level nor different possible interpretations. To
match your pragmatic remark from your experience of reality I proposed (and
we start using) the lang5tag format where levels and interpretations are
included as styles and authority (because computers like positive rather
than controvertible language).
jfc

PS. Some information on what is the IANA function may be of use. Confusion
over the purpose of the IANA registrations would only push for this
function to be reassigned and would only add to the pressures or decisions
towards its management by a more widely accepted structure.

http://ietf.org/overview.html
"The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
<http://ietf.org/glossary.html#IANA>(IANA) is the central coordinator for
the assignment of unique parameter values for Internet protocols. The IANA
is chartered by the Internet Society (ISOC) to act as the clearinghouse to
assign and coordinate the use of numerous Internet protocol parameters."

http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-09feb00.htm
NTIA has a requirement for a contractor to maintain the smooth operation of
the Internet by performing the technical functions collectively known as
the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). The IANA technical
functions are currently operated by the Information Sciences Institute at
the University of Southern California pursuant to a contract with the
Department of Defense's Advanced Research Projects Agency. In performance
of this purchase order, the contractor shall perform the following IANA
functions:

- Coordination of the assignment of technical protocol parameters. This
involves the review and assignment of unique values to various parameters
(e.g., operation codes, port numbers, object identifiers, protocol numbers)
used in various Internet protocols. This function also includes the
dissemination of the listings of assigned parameters through various means
(including on-line publication) and the review of technical documents for
consistency with assigned values.

- Administrative functions associated with root management. This function
involves facilitation and coordination of the root zone of the domain name
system. It includes receiving requests for and making routine updates of
ccTLD contact and nameserver information. It also includes receiving
delegation and redelegation requests, investigating the circumstances
pertinent to those requests, and reporting on the requests. This function,
however, does not include authorizing modifications, additions, or
deletions to the root zone file or associated information that constitute
delegation or redelegation of top-level domains. The purchase order award
will not alter root system responsibilities defined in Amendment 11 of the
Cooperative Agreement.

- Allocation of IP address blocks. This involves overall responsibility for
the allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 address space. It includes delegations of
IP address blocks to regional registries for routine allocation, typically
through downstream providers, to Internet end-users within the regions
served by those registries. It also includes reservation and direct
allocation of space for special purposes, such as multicast addressing,
cable blocks, addresses for private networks as described in RFC 1918, and
globally specified applications.

- Other services. The contractor will perform other IANA functions as
needed upon request of DOC. These functions may include the performance of
periodic functions or supplemental functions identified by the contractor
as part of the three (3) month performance progress report.