Proposed new subtags, when the time comes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 10 17:41:47 CET 2005

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> ... If the Reviewer approves a new subtag submitted in format (2),
>> he submits the new record to IANA in format (1).
>
> Um, that sucks. Currently the Reviewer receives a proposal and when
> he approves it he forwards it with very little editing to IANA. Is
> this to change?

This is to change.  The goal was to remove as much potential for
transcription error from IANA as possible.  We know there have been
cases where the information you submitted to IANA was inadvertently
changed, and since implementers are expected to follow the registry,
that would be a Bad Thing.  It was thought to be safer to give IANA a
ready-to-eat record that they could just stick into the registry
verbatim.

Making this process easier on IANA might also motivate them to update
the registry very soon after receiving your submission.  Nobody likes
having to write back to IANA and remind them.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, Michael, who would be willing to help you
with administrative minutiae like this so you can focus on your main job
of reviewing proposed subtags.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA