Generic variant subtags in RFC 3066bis

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Apr 18 23:45:46 CEST 2005

This is a bit premature for both lists, but I wanted to float the idea to
see if there are any objections to it.

When the RFC 3066bis registry is up and running, I intend to propose some
highly generic variant subtags which may be used with many languages.
Some examples that come to mind are -northern, -southern, -eastern, -western,
and -central for geographical dialects; -ancient and -middle for earlier
versions of languages (-old being too short); and -highreg, -midreg, and -lowreg
for sociolinguistic registers.

Ietf-languages folks: do you have any objections to this idea?

Ltru folks: does one of these deserve to appear in the registry draft as an
example of a generic variant subtag?

--
When I'm stuck in something boring              John Cowan
where reading would be impossible or            (who loves Asimov too)
rude, I often set up math problems for          jcowan at reutershealth.com
myself and solve them as a way to pass          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
the time.      --John Jenkins                   http://www.reutershealth.com