recently-approved tags

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Wed Apr 13 02:34:31 CEST 2005

Michael, et al.

Thanks for this. I regret that my message triggered a diatribe from
another which both offended people and recast my message in a political
context which had little to do with the content or intent of my message.
I expect most readers know that.

I can agree there are needs for these languages. I have reservations
about the syntax.
I'll address them on the ltru list.

We can agree that it would have been better to have a standard in place.

It would have been nice if others were invited to the discussion in
Berlin that you mentioned...

I regret we didnt get to spend more time together during the conference,
it was a busy time.

Best regards,

tex

Michael Everson wrote:

> At 23:02 -0700 2005-04-11, Tex Texin wrote:
> >However, approving (more) tags of the form lang-script-region presumes
> >agreement for that format. Since we don't have agreement on a standard
> >we don't know that this is the best choice. Potentially, registering
> >more languages in this format locks us into a style for which we might
> >ultimately regret. (Because it makes spec'ing an alternative more
> >difficult.)
>
> I had a meeting with Peter and Mark at the Berlin meeting, and am
> satisfied that the syntax meets established and sensible needs.
>
> Having said that, the rules had better be able to handle:
>
> zh-wuu-Hant-CN
> zh-min-nan-Hans-CN
>
> etc if I do understand the syntax.
>
> >It would have been better to hold off and finish the standard.
>
> It would have been better had the standard been approved when it was
> ready as opposed to being derailed on frivolous grounds.
> --
> Michael Everson * * Everson Typography *  * http://www.evertype.com

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World