Item rejected by ISO 639 JAC

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 22 18:12:16 CEST 2004

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

> At 17:53 -0700 2004-09-21, Michael-Forest wrote:
> >Might I enquire in what ways Jèrriais failed to meet ISO 639-2 criteria,
>
> I am not a voting member of the committee that
> makes the decisions, but I assume it is because
> it was judged that Jèrriais was a dialect of
> French.

I think it was because it wasn't clear that it was a distinct language -- distinct not only from French, but also from Guernsey and other Norman varieties. It wasn't so much a judgment of "we think it's a dialect of French" as it was "we haven't seen enough evidence to conclude with confidence that it's distinct".

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division