sgn-MT [et al.]: new RFC 3066 tag[s]

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Sun Oct 3 18:50:12 CEST 2004

> > I do not relish explaining the proposed changes to the user
> > community, which helped develop this scheme. I would very much like
> > the scheme there to be adopted as a special case for "sgn" in RFC
> > 3066bis.
>
> The cost of doing so is relatively low, and I agree that we should.

Mark and I will discuss this before we submit draft-07 (containing a fix related to the busted-ness of the ABNF validator on the web and various errata related to Peter Constable's comments). I think it should be possible to include an exception of this kind. At least we would be well-and-truly done with the sgn-* tags (we would know how they were formed, registered, and handled) and not have them come back and haunt us with exceptions later. As John Cowan notes, the cost of doing this is very low.

Now: the question is what form the exception takes in 3066bis. If we define the sgn-* tags to be a special case, do we require that they be registered as whole tags before use? Or do we allow the generative mechanism to define the tags and permit special registrations of an informative nature? IOW, is sgn-AQ a "valid" tag?

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.

www.ccil.org/~cowan
in the benignancy of vegetables.  --And Rosta           www.reutershealth.com