sgn-MT: new RFC 3066 tag

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 1 18:50:02 CEST 2004

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Mark Davis

> These are already defined in 3066 since "sgn" is a valid ISO 639 tag,
and
> "MT" is a valid ISO 3166 code; registration is unnecessary.

But the problem is knowing what the semantics are. Without a
registration, how does one know whether "sgn-US" meant specifically ASL
as opposed to any sign language that happens to be used in the US?

But I have said before and still am inclined to say I think it's not a
particularly great idea to be defining entire languages (as opposed to a
particular regional variant of a language) by combining a
language-collection ID and a country ID.

Peter Constable