an old item: es-americas

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Mar 25 22:27:28 CET 2004

Addison Phillips [wM] scripsit:

> The question is whether to add another rule. The variations we could add
> would be:
>
> - if no iso3166 code exists, you may use the M49 code (that is, permitting
> regional and sub-regional codes)
> - specifically reference the regional (supra-national) codes to allow them
> (that is, separately reference these specifically)

I would propose a slight reformulation of the first alternative:

	Any M49 code that does not refer to a country may be used.

I think the risk that ISO 3166 will eventually code for non-countries is
negligible.  The trouble with the second alternative is that UNSD may add new
regions as conditions change, and we don't want to have to update 3066bis
in this case.

> Here are some of the potential codes:
>
>   es-019 (America)

For our purposes, this would probably be best, as it includes es-us.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
If a traveler were informed that such a man [as Lord John Russell] was