Referencing an alias resource file in 3066:bis

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Thu Mar 18 01:01:40 CET 2004

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note.

You wrote:

<quot>There are situations in legacy systems, where backward compatibility
is important, where it would be useful to have the option of specifying in
the syntax either the 3-digit UN code or the ISO 3166 alpha country code.
Having such an option for legacy systems does not burden the standard but it
gives implementers a way to be backward compatible.</quot>

The ABNF does, indeed, make ISO3166 alpha2 and UN codes equally optional:

 region  = 2 ALPHA    ; ISO 3166 tag
        =/ 3 DIGIT   ; UN country number

I think that what Mark and I have constructed is entirely backward
compatible in the way that you have in mind, in that all existing codes are
also valid RFC3066:bis codes.

The UN codes only come into play for NEW countries (that would not otherwise
have ISO3166 codes) that receive formerly assigned 3166 codes. If you read
the text very closely, what you'll see is that RFC3066:bis handles the UN
codes as a kind of informative registration. Legacy implementations could
think of (and treat) a code like sr-891 as an IANA registered code (probably
an unrecognized one--none of the major browsers seem to know about the list
of registrations in any form). Newer implementations (that understand
rfc3066:bis) would be able to associate the '891' with Serbia and
Montenegro.

Older (legacy) implementations that naively emit old-format tags are
actually protected by rfc3066:bis. For example, consider that IE5 might emit
sr-YU, which will continue to mean Serbian for Yugoslavia essentially
forever (rather than morphing into, say, Serbian for some other country
starting with Y, should ISO3166 be required to reassign that code).

It is true that changes to countries (essentially socio-political changes)
have the perverse effect of making language tags obsolete for new data, even
though the speaker populations remain more-or-less constant. I don't see any
way out of that box. At least historic data and legacy systems are somewhat
protected this way, though.

If you have text or just design notes for an updated IANA considerations
section (which is where an aliases registry would go in the draft), I would
be happy to have it. You can send text to the list or just forward it to me
personally.

With regard to the schedule of the next draft, Mark is unavailable this
week. Next week we'll chat about our current list of comments, our

With regard to the schedule of moving the RFC forward, the August date is
not what you should be looking at. That's the expiration date of the
Internet-Draft. The IETF process states that two weeks after the publication
of an Internet-Draft, someone (anyone, including the authors) can petition
the IESG to move the draft forward via a "recommendation for action". If
Mark and I publish a new I-D, then we would wait the two weeks (assuming no
one on this list had a reasonable objection or addition) and request such an
action. We have refrained from doing so to this point since we have been
dealing with comments. (Actually, we had hoped to do so with this draft.)

(Aside to list: hello, world: if you have comments, now would be a very good
time to make them.)

RFC3066 is a BCP (best current practices) document. On that standards track,
the IESG will (assuming they agree to accept the document) issue a Last Call
on this list of at least four weeks in duration (since Mark and I are not an
IETF WG). Assuming there are no reasonable reasons not to, they would then
advance the Internet-Draft to become a newly minted RFC (and BCP), replacing
RFC3066 as the BCP. Mark and I both hope that this transpires L-O-N-G before
August rolls around. For the gory details, see section 6.1 of
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt. Thus the soonest this could happen is
about 17 May (given a week for each interaction with the IESG).

Best Regards,

Addison
Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.

  Thanks for your reply and explanation on dropping alpha3 country codes.

  There are situations in legacy systems, where backward compatibility is
important, where it would be useful to have the option of specifying in the
syntax either the 3-digit UN code or the ISO 3166 alpha country code.
Having such an option for legacy systems does not burden the standard but it
gives implementers a way to be backward compatible.

  I have a couple of more questions:

  1.  What is the timeline for publishing the next draft which will include
text that covers aliasing as was discussed in previous emails?   I would be
more than willing to help in reviewing any text you plan to add.

    2.. What is the expected time of publication the updated RFC?  Is it
still August 2004 or will that date move forward since there is going to be
another draft?

  Mike Ksar