Referencing an alias resource file in 3066:bis

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Sat Mar 6 12:14:53 CET 2004

Hmmm....

I'm not quite sure I understand your proposal. If by "an alternate resource
file...to validate language-tags" you mean "a way to implement tags that use
a different valiation scheme than the one in RFC3066" (e.g., one in which
the subtags have a different meaning) then I would point to the extension
mechanism. "x-something" can have externally defined semantics.

If that means "a way to implement registered values on an automatic basis",
we can add text to the IANA registration section requiring some additional
file formats, such as comma delimited or XML, be maintained for each
registration or for the lot of them (or both). This would assist
implementers a little bit (the REAL problem, you'll note isn't the small
number of registrations: it's the availability of the underlying ISO
standards in a machine parseable format).

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.