zh-min-nan example

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Jun 13 07:18:24 CEST 2004

Addison Phillips [wM] scripsit:

> > "zh-min-nan" is already registered.  I would think this would be
> > grandfathered as an RFC 3066 legacy tag, and would therefore be a
> > confusing example of an extended language subtag.
>
> I wanted to give a real example of how an ISO 639-3 (or similar)
> extended language subtag would look. This would be a good example if
> only ISO 639-3 were done and 'min' and 'nan' were actually codes in
> it. Perhaps a 'fake' example would be better. I think Peter got the
> jist of it, but I do agree that I also worried about using this as
> an example.

It's certainly not very plausible.  The Ethnologue (and with fair
probability the ISO 639-3) code for Southern Min is CFR, so depending
on how RFC 3066ter ends up being designed, we'll either have cfr or
zh-cfr.  ISO 639-3 codes aren't going to have substructure, and the
chance that one of them will match an existing grandfathered code
exactly is just about nil.

Or so I was going to say until I looked up the Ethnologue code for
Hakka, which is HAK!  So unless that gets changed, hak will indeed
become a productive rather than a grandfathered tag.

--
"No, John.  I want formats that are actually       John Cowan
useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
internal links in forms which are hideously        jcowan at reutershealth.com
over-complex." --Simon St. Laurent on xml-dev