comments on the draft - 2

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 12 18:38:10 CEST 2004

Tex Texin <tex at xencraft dot com> wrote:

> Ahh, yet another example of a dead and obsolete standard (Latin)
> continuing to impact modern software development. Must we go back to
> concepts from 300BC, which haven't been lingua franca anywhere since
> 1300, as guidance for 2004 documents?

Because the word is spelled "superseded."  This is about correct
spelling, not software development.

Compare Bernard Rafael Miller's Bytext "standard," in which, in a frenzy
to be "modern" and not constrained by old-fashioned legacy standards, he
declared "tho," "thru," and "who" to be acceptable spelling variants of
"though," "through," and "whom."

> Instead of "superseded" why don't we use more modern spelling and
> wording, for example: "totally 5 minutes ago".
> (Given recent reuse of tags, it seems more apt doesn't it?)
>
> I propose:
>
> 'Tags like "zh-Hant" and "en-boont" be marked as "totally 5 minutes
> ago".'

Or maybe:

'Tags like "zh-Hant" and "en-boont" be marked as "so yesterday".'

That might lead us into an IP-rights discussion with Hilary Duff's
agents, though.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/