3-letter tags galore (Re: Question on ISO-639:1988)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Jun 11 22:35:26 CEST 2004

--On 11. juni 2004 11:56 -0700 Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com>
wrote:

>> Sigh. If I understand this right, you have a 3-letter namespace, and
> have 3
>> different standards allocating names out of that namespace. Who
> administers
>> the namespace?
>
> The ISO 639/RA Joint Advisory Committee together with the registration
> authorities.
>
> You're seeing a family of standards that are in transition, and it's
> entirely possible that there will be further change.

then, from the viewpoint of RFC 3066 and its successors, I am entirely
happy to not change a thing now, wait until ISO 639/RA can give us a single
reference to point to saying "here is the allocation mechanism and registry
for 3-letter tags for language-like objects", and once that happens, refer
to that as the defining source of valid values for the first part of
RFC3066ter tags.

Getting ISO to that point will be Someone Else's Problem.

Suits me!

                     Harald