Multiple variant subtags

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 15 01:40:13 CEST 2004

Addison Phillips [wM] <aphillips at webmethods dot com> wrote:

>> How would this "subtag of a subtag" relationship be indicated in the
>> registry, if at all?
>
> Recommended prefix(es). Recall that Prof. Steenwijk had a somewhat
> complex series of subtags in mind at one time. See his emails of
> roughly 2003-10-15, which with some of the Chinese variations formed
> the basis for my thinking in this area.

OK, so to use Steenwijk's examples, the recommended prefix for
sub-sub-dialects of Slovenian Resian would be "sl-rozaj", and the
registry entries would look something like this (modiying Steenwijk's
proposed subtags to meet the 5-letter minimum):

variant; lipav; Lipavac (sub-)dialect, Lipovaz (sub-)dialect;
2004-xx-xx; ; sl-rozaj
variant; ravan; Ravanca (sub-)dialect, Prato (sub-)dialect; 2004-xx-xx;
; sl-rozaj
variant; ucjaa; Ucja (sub-)dialect, Uccea (sub-)dialect; 2004-xx-xx; ;
sl-rozaj

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/