RFC3066bis: looking ahead

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 20 19:11:15 CET 2004

> From: Mark Davis [mailto:mark.davis at jtcsv.com]

> Currently, we can tell script from region by length. But if you toss
in two tags
> for language, where the second can be of length 2 or 3, then you can't
tell

> lang-sublang
> from
> lang-region

True; I hadn't commented on that possibility and should have.

The "sublang" (as you call it), I would say, could only ever be three
letters. This is true by the nature of relationship between the parts of
ISO 639. My inclination is that we should go further, though, in
freezing the use of two-letter identifiers from ISO 639-1 to exactly
those that are in use today.

So, there still isn't a problem.

Peter

Peter Constable