(iso639.1574) New ISO 639 language identifier - Klingon

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Wed Feb 25 17:22:15 CET 2004

> Also, "put your money where your mouth is" is a popular IETF game - if
it's
> simple to generate those data files, someone who's interested could hack
up
> the scripts to do it, provide a "contribution" site that has the files,
and
> donate the scripts to IANA if they're willing to run them.

My implementation of rfc3066 (and rfc3066bis) includes code that does that.
I'll happily split that out and donate it. It might take a couple of weeks
(since I'm busy getting ready to go off to Cannes for the W3C TP).

> publish "derived" files to make it easy to correctly verify what tags in
> fact exist and are supposed to be used than a whole-tag registry
> has. Does 3066bis discuss the functioning of the registry at all?

It does discuss the functioning of the registry, but mostly on a par with
what rfc3066 said. More text can be added to deal with this, of course.

The problem here is that the source materials for the various ISO standards
are not always readily available. Rfc3066 puts the burden on implementations
to figure it out. A larger, more formal registry might need to include
authoritative sources for ISO639-x, ISO3166, and ISO15924, since this is the
Ur-data for generating any additional fallback tables.

Note that rfc3066bis includes slightly more text than rfc3066 does related
to obsoleting of codes. See rule 7a (Ambiguity) in section 2.3 (the HTML is
here when my DSL is working:
http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-phillips-langtags-01.html#choice)

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.