Language Identifier List Comments, updated

Ivan Herman ivan at w3.org
Mon Dec 27 12:31:10 CET 2004

Tex Texin wrote:
> Thanks Ivan. I made most of the changes you and Andrew proposed.
>
> 1) I agree that the codes with han* ideally should indicate Simplified and
> Traditional, and then I probably should also do the same for other scripts
> (latn, cyrl, arab, etc.)

I think Chinese is unique. The difference in the simplified and traditional is essential
and created a 'cut' in chinese writing which is much more important than for any other
scripts (afaik).

> I can do it, although at some point, the table is going to get very large, and
> I wonder if it isn't better for that information to not be provided with each
> entry, and instead to provide a pointer to a table of script codes and names.
> I'll come back to this later.
>

> In any event, the table is supposed to be about determining the language codes
> to use.
> It is not clear to me when I add these codes whether I should add them with a
> regional subtag or not.
> Are they speaking the same language or a variation?
>
> 3) I don't know the answer for frisian.

I will try to ask around me (I live in Amsterdam, after all...) but I am not sure if I'll
get a proper answer...

> 4) Provencal is already listed, it goes by the code "oc" for Occitan. (If I
> understand correctly.)

Ah. Language purist probably would say they are not the same, but then we have no end in
sight...;-)

Thank you

Ivan

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices