German as used in Liechtenstein (was: Re: Language Identifier List up for comments)

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Dec 21 14:57:33 CET 2004

Dear Martin,
I am sorry to object. Tagging means to deliver the users (end user,
developper, application) with an exact information grid. IMHO exact means
independent from subjective and accidental external information and
complete. The identification is about "language.country". There are 239
country codes in ISO-3166 and 6000 or so languages in ISO 639, this means
that there are 239x6000 tags.

Now, you can come with equivalence tables from your own expertise or from
authoritative concerned bodies. These tables will be subject to changes
(for example if a law changes on the way to spell some words) and may be
subject to some additional tag elements such as:

- legal
- common use
- accepted international
- academic
- historic
- etc.

These for example could be maintained as a semantic web application using
the RFC 3066bis taging as it workframe, concerned academic authoritative
sources providing updated correspondance evaluations and comments. Word
processors, OS, etc. manufacturers could then indicate if they support it
or not, etc.

So, you may be fully right, but this should be addressed in an equivalence
table or matrix or web. In a nutshell: we discuss a tag, then this tag can
be differently used in different frameworks.

Or am I wrong?
jfc