New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

Bruce Lilly blilly at erols.com
Mon Dec 20 15:06:30 CET 2004

>  Date: 2004-12-18 20:33
>  From: "Addison Phillips [wM]" <aphillips at webmethods.com>
>  To: aphillips at webmethods.com, ned.freed at mrochek.com, "Bruce Lilly" <blilly at erols.com>
>  CC: ietf at ietf.org, ietf-languages at alvestrand.no
>  Reply to: aphillips at webmethods.com
>
> Hmm...
>
> That's "as an editorial issue and not a technical issue".
[...]
> > The -CS subtag issue doesn't strike me as a technical issue with
> > the draft. The draft stabilizes the meaning of subtags. There is
> > a process in the draft for setting the initial (and thus stable)
> > meaning of the -CS subtag. While it probably matters which value
> > (Czechoslovakia or Serbia and Montenegro) that is selected, it is
> > only of editorial interest to the draft itself... unless what
> > Bruce is trying to prove is that stabilizing the meaning of the
> > subtags is a Bad Idea, which I don't think is his point.
> >
> > I'm willing to entertain a debate about which meaning ought to be
> > selected. But really it ought to be recognized as not an
> > editorial issue with the draft and not a technical objection.

I believe that it's more than an editorial issue, and that
there are both technical and non-technical matters involved.
While I wouldn't say "that stabilizing the meaning of the
subtags is a Bad Idea", I do believe that the particular
approach taken raises some disturbing issues, and I suspect
that there are process-related considerations that could have
avoided them.  Jefsey Morfin and Vernon Schryver have touched
on procedural issues; I plan to discuss my specific concerns
and suggestions, but it make take a few days due to the
impending holidays and other work for me to collect and
organize my thoughts on those matters.