New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Tue Dec 14 18:28:18 CET 2004

Mark and I have both worked extensively with time zone issues, so we're aware of the potential problems.

RFC 3339 would be an appropriate substitute: its "full-date" production describes the ISO 8601 profile used by the draft.

I would also tend to agree that lack of a timezone would be ambiguous in most applications. However, for this use I think that:

  a) the dates indicate the date of accession of each subtag to the registry. These dates will all be in the past. Since the registry itself is versioned and has its own date record, the question of time zone is probably not important because implementations will use their registry date and not an arbitrary date to determine compatibility. That is: the dates will all be used in the same context with one another.

  b) we can safely assume (or explicitly state) the use of UTC time based on the above.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com

Chair, W3C Internationalization Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.