Language Identifier List up for comments

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Tue Dec 14 15:01:55 CET 2004

Do you really need to specify different types of English used in the
United States territories (e.g. Puerto Rico, Guam, etc). I'm aware
that there are local varieties in some cases, but I'm not sure they
are reflected in the WRITTEN forms, just in pronunciation. That is,
business English is the same in Puerto Rico as in the continental U.S.

This contrasts with en-GB (British English) in which there are
genuine differences in spelling, punctuation and standard
pronunciations.

Theoretically, you could create a pronunciation/syntax engine for
en-PR as well as en-TX (Texas), en-NYC (New Yawk City), etc, but I'm
not sure how well received it would be as a serious tool. I suspect
some Puerto Ricans would be offended by the concept of a speech
synthesizer programmed to deliver English in a Latino accent, even
though it's linguistically accurate.

Elizabeth Pyatt

P.S. The same comment applies for British territories. Is standard
British English used in the Falkand Islands, Bermuda and Gibralter or
are different spelling conventions used?

--
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.

210 Rider Building II
227 W. Beaver Avenue