New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Dec 13 14:44:43 CET 2004

Bruce Lilly scripsit:

> Feh. Whatever. The human-readable stuff that corresponds
> to the code which you say shouldn't be read.   The stuff
> without which codes are meaningless.  The stuff without
> which two communicating parties cannot agree on the meaning
> of "XX".

Two communicating parties can unquestionably agree on the meaning of
"XX" without both English and French definitions.  Either will suffice.
Indeed, if either definition provided a nuance not available to the
other, they would not be interchangeable, and one would have to be
the authentic definition and the other a mere aide-memoire.

--
[W]hen I wrote it I was more than a little              John Cowan
febrile with foodpoisoning from an antique carrot       jcowan at reutershealth.com