New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sun Dec 12 23:34:56 CET 2004

> Are you claiming that
>
> sr-CS-891-boont-gaulish-guoyu-boont-gaulish-guoyu-boont-gaulish-guoyu

> is nonconformant per some specification in the draft
> proposal?

Clearly not. But

  x-sr-CS-891-boont-gaulish-guoyu-boont-gaulish-guoyu-boont-gaulish-guoyu

is already absolutely conformant with the current RFC 3066. And the current
RFC 3066 clearly permits the registration of something as long as

  sr-CS-891-boont-gaulish-guoyu-boont-gaulish-guoyu-boont-gaulish-guoyu

(although of course this particular combination would certainly never get
in).

Inutile d'aller plu loin...

There is no use to trying to declare a difference in conformant lengths
between these two documents when one doesn't exist. If you want to do
something productive, you should make a practical suggestion for a change in
the current text of the new draft. If the new draft is to backward
compatible, then it has to be worded carefully. I haven't thought it through
at length, but would need to be something like:

- A conformant implementation need not support the storage of language tags
which exceed a specified length. However, such a limitation must be clearly
documented, including the disposition of any longer tags (for example,
whether an error value is generated or the language tag is truncated -- and
if so, how it is to be truncated).

‎Mark