What's the plan for ISO 639-3 and RFC 3066 ter?

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Mon Aug 16 17:37:52 CEST 2004

The question is: does ISO 639-3 supersede ISO 639-2 as the source for three letter codes? Or not?

If 639-3 is a strict superset, then the additional three letter codes could just be admitted as language subtags. In fact, I'm given to understand from Peter's prior explanations that this should be the goal for most of the 639-3 codes. The need for extlang subtags would then be muted (and might even be eliminated). Only language codes that had "macro languages" associated with them could be registered as extlangs. In fact, these subtags might be cherry picked on an as-needed basis (rather than having a full-fledged formal source).

Canonicalizing and matching the tags in this situation would be much more complicated:

zh-min-nan // ignore the min problem for a second
zh-nan
nan

Are these tags matching?
Which one or ones are canonical?

BTW> John (and others on the list), are you happy with 3066 bis? Indications of support or opposition (with reasons) would be useful at this juncture in finishing this work.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.