sl-rozaj: language-dialect-subdialect strings

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Oct 20 17:50:09 CEST 2003

Addison Phillips [wM] scripsit:

> First, I think it might be worthwhile for there to be a policy of not
> registering new language (or region) based tags until the relevent "base"
> standard (ISO639 or ISO3166) has rejected a request for registration.

The whole point of RFC 3066 registration is that it's lightweight and
easy compared to ISO registration.  This is no longer as true as it
was in the past, but it's still true.

> I think it might be time to consider an alternative. Specifically, rfc3066
> needs an extension mechanism that *doesn't* use registration. Sort of a
> "private use area" for language tags.

Any tag that begins with "x-" is private use.

--
If you understand,                      John Cowan
   things are just as they are;         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
   things are just as they are.         jcowan at reutershealth.com