Proposed Successor to RFC 3066 (language tags)

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 20:13:18 CET 2003

Hi Randy

I think you will find that ISO 639-3 is based around SILs Ethnologue... I am
sure they could be classed as a specific vendor with a specific product...
nevertheless...

All ISO standards are sold by the respective standards authorities in the
various countries on behalf of ISO with all monies going to ISO.
Linguasphere ICT will not receive any monies from the sale of standards and
the full coding system will be available freely on the web upon completion.

However, we do have to fund the organisation and research (sadly nothing in
this life comes for free - and I personally have 3 children, 3 dogs, a cat,
a gerbil and a goldfish to support) so we charge large corporate and
government bodies for the additional information contained within the
Linguasphere full database and published in the Linguasphere Register...
such as geographical mapping, history, demographics etc.  Although the full
database will also be freely available for research purposes online for use
by the general public and industry alike.  I hope this clarifies the
situation and that Linguasphere now has your sympathy.

Best wishes

Debbie Garside
Linguasphere ICT