Subtag syntax

John Clews Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Sat May 31 09:30:24 CEST 2003

Hello

Subtag syntax arose out of various postings
Re: en-GB-oxford LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM.

I thought that I had picked up this idea of

 ll-cc-anything for "written language tags" and
 ll-anything for "spoken language tags"

in one or two postings.

I agree with Peter that not everybody said this.

Nevertheless, is that idea (or something like it) worth exploring?

We are certainly likely to need some ways of differentiating the two
in subtag syntax, for some purposes, to avoid ambiguity,
as two different meanings of what might be called "Oxford English"
(written and spoken forms) already show.

John

In message <OFFDFECD09.818C66F2-ON86256D36.007ABC0E-86256D36.007B1804 at sil.org> Peter_Constable at sil.org writes:

> John Clews wrote on 05/30/2003 03:58:46 PM:
>
> > The use of -us, -en, -au subtags (before -oed) would appear to
> > indicate that this relates to written language, and not do a spoken
> > form.
>
> Not a priori.
>

> > spinoffs), while en-oed or en-oxford would relate to a spoken form
> > (as in "Oxford English on the BBC")
>
> If that's how they're defined when (assuming if) registered, but at present
> nothing requires that.
>

> > At least that's the consensus that I picked up.
>
> I must have missed that thread.
>

> >   ll-cc-anything for "written language tags" and
>
> I thought that the distinctions between es-MX, es-AR, es-CO etc. were
> primarily dialectal (esp. vocab), whether for audio or text data.
>
> - Peter

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),
Email:  Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Web:    http://www.keytempo.com

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes