Counting Heads

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Thu May 29 10:24:52 CEST 2003

Jeremy Carroll wrote:
 > That looks a practical problem to me.
 > Software needs to treat the normal separable use of subtags in one way
 > and these inseparable subtags in a different way.
 >
 > We ought to have a lookup table saying which are the inseparable subtags.

I'd go further than that. Several times in this discussion we've had
cause to refer to information about the registered tags and even some
debate about the reasons behind a particular registration. The current
registry contains only very minimal information, so perhaps some
additional informative information should be included in the future.

In a new RFC one idea for registry reform might be to allow only
concrete subtags to be registered. IOW, not "de-AT-1901". Instead you'd
register "1901" with the note that it is designed for use with (and thus
has practical meaning only with) "de" and its variations. If 3066bis
were more like, say, collation (with its strength levels) this would
make writing parsers and building exception tables much more robust.

It would also help quell debates, such as the one here, about precedent
setting. If 3066's registry were structured this way, registering "latn"
for use with "yi" (and later adding az, uz, and sr to it) would be
self-limiting. The debate would only have been about whether these three
languages should be added to the (already registered) tag. It would also
allow productive use of the sub-tags where they make sense (e.g. we
don't have to register a whole plethora of zh-hanx-XX tags because
registering 'hanx' does the trick).

Just an idea.

Addison

--
Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture

+1 408.962.5487  mailto:aphillips at webmethods.com
Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.

Chair, W3C I18N WG Web Services Task Force
http://www.w3.org/International/ws