Counting Heads

Misha Wolf Misha.Wolf at reuters.com
Thu May 29 14:32:42 CEST 2003

Sean Burke wrote:

> Aren't language tags treated as atomic by most applications anyway?
> (Thus obviating the whole separability/inseparability shtik)

Didn't you see my mail with a reference to the HTML spec?
If that doesn't convince you, how about that little-known
protocol, HTTP?  RFC 2616 states:

   14.4 Accept-Language

   [...]

   A language-range matches a language-tag if
   it exactly equals the tag, or if it exactly equals a prefix of the
   tag such that the first tag character following the prefix is "-".
   The special range "*", if present in the Accept-Language field,
   matches every tag not matched by any other range present in the
   Accept-Language field.

Misha

the views of Reuters Ltd.