Counting Heads

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Wed May 28 13:00:18 CEST 2003

I agree, but it violates the hypothesis I'm making about subsidiary tags
(which, of course, could be balderdash). IOW, you're treating zh-hakka *as*
a language (or near enough to a language), so the tag is really:

  lang = zh-hakka
  script = han(x)
  ortho = null

Rather than:

  lang = zh
  ortho = hakka
  script = han(x)

There are lots of tags that represent dialectical differences like this. The
problem is recognizing the "tipping point" when the dialect becomes more
important than the script, enough so that it warrants an exception to the
pattern. I mean, I'd guess you wouldn't have a problem with, say,
en-latn-boont? But if zh-hakka is on the other side of the divide we ought
to define the divide (and that may not be possible to do with any more
precision than a "duck test").

Addison