Timetable for action: May 31 is suggested

John Clews Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Mon May 26 15:35:50 CEST 2003

In message <NDBBLCBLIMDOPKMOPHLHMENDFCAA.jon at spin.ie>
Jon Hanna wrote via ietf-languages at iana.org:

> The majority opinion seems to favour altering the use of 3066 (some
> point to registrations like de-1901 as evidence that this isn't
> really altering 3066 at all).

In my view the majority want new tags to be allocated, and allocated
as soon as possible, by the Language Tag Reviewer: any new
version of RFC 3066 is merely a secondary issue.

> I maintain that script is orthogonal to language.

Well, countries are orthogonal to languages, yet RFC 3066 handles them :-)

NB: Please could we have a timetable for action please, in relation to
these registrations.

I'm fed up of seeing and participating in circular discussions with
no prospect in sight as to the outcome.

I my view we now need a timetable for action, whereby either
(a) the Language Tag Reviewer allocates tags, or
(b) the Language Tag Reviewer and any other interested parties put in
    writing the specific difficulties about allocating tags (other
    than just hunches or feelings) - a suggestion I made before but
    which was not taken up by those involved, or
(c) those who feel that they need to do so, set in motion the appeals
    process about the Language Tag Review process.

I suggest that a timetable be set for this, and I suggest an
arbitrary one of 31 May, for either (a), (b) or (c) to happen.

I'd just like to see an outcome - whatever it is - not just
endless circular discussions, with no end in sight.

John Clews

--
John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),
Email:  Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Web:    http://www.keytempo.com

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes