More hunches - come on, we need better than that.

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Fri May 23 21:54:10 CEST 2003

Michael Everson wrote on 05/23/2003 04:03:56 AM:

> I am being told that I *have* to approve
> these because I approved another one

Actually, I think you're being told you should approve most, perhaps all,
of Mark's requests because the vast majority of contributors to the
discussion have indicated they think these should be approved. Slog it out
further on sr-cyrl if you want (I've no strong opinion on that one, though
I do consider similar comments from Mark, Francois and Tex to be
significant), but I think we can get on with the others.

> I think this is controversial, and I have insisted on knowing that
> all the players here are satisfied with the process. I have asked
> that you return to Peter Edberg's paper, which asked many questions,
> and decide a firm policy on this matter and the relationship it has
> with the RFC, the intent of tagging.

I think it's fair enough of you to ask that others engage with Peter E's
paper; it might have been helpful, though, if that had been pushed several
weeks ago and his paper made available to all on the list, rather than
wait until the requester and others needing to use these began to grow
frustrated.

In relation to Peter E's paper, these requests (except perhaps the
uncertain regarding sr-Cyrl) are not affected by open issues in his paper
(that I notice offhand) except for one: whether to insert "-w-" to
indicate where info related just to written form begins. But there doesn't
seem to be any significant need being expressed for what this could
provode.

I really do empathise with your concern at getting good decisions on the
basic architechtural issues. There may be a much greater concern, though:
if we don't get on with solving some real problems, companies and
consortia are going to start doing their own things. If that happens,
we're risk running into duplication and interchange problems far worse
than any problems associated with sr vs. sr-cyrl.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485