sr-cyrl LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Thu May 22 13:54:40 CEST 2003

Michael wrote:

> At 20:38 +0200 2003-05-22, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> >It is my understanding that sr is normally written in Cyrillic, so
> >this language registration is superflouous, IMHO
>
> I agree.

We've seen apparent evidence, collected from Serbians and from the proposal
itself that seem to demonstrate:

a) if it is normal to write 'sr' in Cyrillic, it is also normal to write it
in Latin script.
b) it isn't officially sanctioned (apparently, to the contrary, both scripts
are equally sanctioned)
c) there is content that is labeled as being "Serbian in Cyrillic" as
distinct from "Serbian in Latin" or just "Serbian" and the label serves to
distinguish the two script variants in a way that 'sr' on its own cannot.

This last seems to indicate a need for a standardized tag.

Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
webMethods, Inc.

+1 408.962.5487 (phone)  +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
It is not a feature.

Chair, W3C-I18N-WG Web Services Task Force
To participate see http://www.w3.org/International/ws