en-GB-oxford LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Mon Jun 16 11:38:49 CEST 2003

Michael Everson wrote on 06/16/2003 09:03:08 AM:

> >Even if nothing has changed over the last three or however many
editions,
> >that doesn't imply that changes cannot happen in the future.
>
> What's your point, Peter? That I don't have a requirement to use
> British spelling that follows Oxford practice?

No, not at all. It's that Tex's question was valid, and that we need to
consider what should happen if usage should change. *If* OED spelling
conventions should change at some point in the future (I'm not saying they
will), what would be the impact on en-oed (or whatever)? It's a valid
question.

Should that happen, probably something similar to what has been done for
German would need to be done. E.g. if in the year 2038 OED decides the
preferred spelling of words centre should be like center (say), then we'd
probably need to define a new tag en-oed-2038; at that point, it would need
to be decided whether en-oed should mean *just* the pre-2038 conventions,
or either pre- and post-2038 conventions, with a 2nd new tag en-oed-1933
(or whatever descriptor might be considered appropriate to represent the
pre-2038 conventions).

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485