I just noticed something (was RE: en-GB-oxford LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Jon Hanna jon at spin.ie
Mon Jun 16 13:02:37 CEST 2003

Okay, I'm still waiting for the coffee to brew so an exception to this might
have escaped my notice.

Are there any subtags identifying either scripts or orthographies (which
necessarily assume a particular script) that are not four letters long?
(Latn, Cyrl, 1901)

Are there any subtags that don't identify such information that are 4
letters long?

If so then, while it's a bit of a hack, the existence of a 4 letter long
subtag could be taken as indicating that it, and all following subtags,
identify script and orthographic information.

It rules out both oed and oxford as the subtag for this registration, but if
we could live with something like oedo (O.E.D. orthography) then we might be
able to formalise on a way to programmatically deduce which subtags refer to
script and orthography (a la the long debate we had earlier which I'm sure
we don't want to recap right now) while 100% compliant with the current RFC
(which previous proposals weren't).