Dealing with unnecessary activities [Re: Address of ISO 3166 mailinglist]

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Thu Jun 5 11:35:50 CEST 2003

William Overington wrote on 06/05/2003 12:24:29 AM:

> Many?  Who knows!  However, even if many, many is not all, which was the
> claim being made.  Even if most, then the concept of the rights of
> minorities needs to be respected.

This list isn't about minority rights. Politeness and giving everyone a
chance to have a voice on *topical* matters is entirely appropriate. But as
I mentioned to you earlier, off-topic discussion isn't particularly
appreciated. Also, I question the appropriateness of someone who has
recently joined telling long-time members of the list what is and isn't
appropriate. There is history that they know about but that you do not.

> I also wondered whether the country where the comment was made is a
> signatory of the European Convention of Human Rights.  Such documents are
> not just bits of paper for lawyers to discuss at seminars!

But none of that is relevant for this list.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485