Dealing with unnecessary activities [Re: Address of ISO 3166 mailing list]

John Clews Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 18:51:26 CEST 2003

In message <p05200a0ebb02b900bc3f@[64.63.221.87]> Michael Everson writes:

> I am sure that the ISO 3166 maintenance agency will reply indicating
> that it would be inadvisable to do so. Ireland has a 3166 two-letter
> code, IE, which is entirely satisfactory for the purposes assigned to
> it, such as in internet domain names. I expect that the reason UK was
> "reserved" was because the internet domain names were already using
> it instead of GB, and by reserving it one potential confusion might
> be avoided.

That was indeed exactly the reason.

> I have already noted that "baggage-handling at international
> airports" does not constitute an implementation of EI any more than
> it does of IE, except in the accident that the two-letter airline
> code EI refers to Aer Lingus. It takes some expertise to know the
> difference between a country code, a language code, and an airline
> code, but it doesn't take very much.

The use of both EI and IE would be extremely confusing.

I would agrue against it.

Marion - it must be extremely clear to you by now that
members of this list are clearly _not_ interested in these
issues.

Why don't you just pursue them elsewhere? Or just forget them?

I - and many others - are feeling that we are wasting time on
things which are not the subject of this list.

I'm now begining to resent this additional drain on my time.

John Clews

--
John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),
Email:  Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Web:    http://www.keytempo.com

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes