LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM (Newspeak)

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Mon Jun 2 09:47:40 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, John Cowan wrote:
> I think the better argument against en-newspeak is that it should be
> art-newspeak.

OK by me.

> Look at the following attested passages and say if they are
> English:
> 1) Oldthinkers unbellyfeel Ingsoc.

This is Newspeak

> 2) [a telegram:] Times 3.12.83 reporting B[ig]B[rother] dayorder
>    doubleplusungood[,] ref[erence]s unpersons[;] rewrite fullwise upsub[mit]
>    antefiling[.]
>
> 3) Items one, five, seven approved fullwise.  Suggestion contained
>    item six doubleplus ridiculous verging crimethink cancel.  Unproceed
>    constructionwise antegetting plusfull estimates machinery overheads.

These last two are *NOT* Newspeak; if you refer to "1984" you will find
that this is a hybrid jargon of English and Newspeak used by Minitrue.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc